Too Much Static In Your Shop? What To Do
If the shop of your commercial property is having an issue with static electricity and dryness in the air, there are some precautions you will want to take. You don't want someone to end up getting hurt, and you don't want to have an electrical fire or issue because of the dryness of the air and sparks. Here are some of the things that you want to look into so you are prepared for anything that may come your way.
Rubber mats that sit on the tables will help to reduce and minimize static, and it will also help keep the parts or components that are being worked on stay in place. These mats also help to protect the tables and will absorb the shock if there are any dropped parts. These are ideal for high static and dry areas around the shop. Different sizes and colors are available for the mats.
To have the employees stand on a mat that is slip resistant, anti-static, and supportive can help improve work safety in the space. These floor runners should go along the tables to help ensure that someone handling the electrical components has rubber at their feet and to help provide comfort at the same time.
Commercial grade humidifiers can help to reduce the dryness and static electricity in the air and can also provide a better work environment. This can help prevent the air from getting dry and creating dust, which can clog the machines and cause air quality issues in the space.
Frequent Fire Extinguishers
There is a fire extinguisher requirement and code that you have to follow, but often it's best to be more cautious and to go above and beyond this requirement. You will want to have small extinguishers that can be secured under tables and in easy-to-grab places around the facility.
These are some of the things that you can do to help with the static electricity problem around the space. You want to be sure that your tools have rubber handles, and if necessary, that people wear rubber gloves when they are working on or around machines or when there is any type of risk that they could get electrocuted. Talk with a safety health professional in your area to see what other things you can do to help get rid of the constant static in your space.